Sunday, June 20, 2004

My own Father's Day...

Today was a good day. I got nothing done and I enjoyed every minute of it.

My gorgeous fiancee woke me up at five o'clock this morning for a brief but very intense discussion... yeah, that's it. Then, a couple of hours later, her beautiful face was next to the bed and directly behind her the two sweet faces of her daughters. Well, our daughters. Very soon I'll be marrying into this wonderful little family and I'm adopting the girls as my own. For so many years I've been a father without my children, but now I have found a woman who wants me, needs me and loves me as much as I love her. Along with her come two incredible kids who want me, need me and love me as much as I love them. What else am I going to do but love them for the rest of my life. This year's Father's Day was the sweetest I've ever had. I hope they are all this good. The eight year old made a simple card from printer paper and crayons. It was a masterpiece. The thirteen year old made me breakfast. Because of my gastric bypass surgery I just can't eat much at one sitting. It was simply a handful of whole wheat wafers with cream cheese and half an avocado with a strong cup of coffee. Perfect.

Of course, after a sumptuous meal what's better than a mid-morning snooze. I slept until eleven, when my fiancee came back into our bedroom and we took up the same topic we were discussing early that morning. Bliss.

We then went to the store where I attempted to purchase all the things we needed to prepare a large meal for both of my parents, my mother's birthday was last week. Well, it cost more money than I expected and took longer to prepare than I wanted to spend but it was a better than average meal that everyone enjoyed. Joy

Today's top ten is all about being a Dad.

The Top Ten Things Dad's Get Out of Father's Day:

10. This card is made from 100% recycled paper... and so is your tie.

9. Happy Father's Day... Can I borrow the car?

8. Sorry Dad, I didn't know that you were allergic to shellfish.

7. Honey, are you going to actually sleep all day?

6. It's perfectly normal for a grown man to cry.

5. It tastes great, (hack) honest. No, (cough) really, there's just (gag) enough pepper, sweetie. (sneeze)

4. We even got the dog to sign your card... that's what that smell is.

3. A little turpentine, a claw hammer, some chlorine bleach and a hasp should take that right out.

2. We didn't know what your first name was so we had it engraved "Dude."

and the number one thing Dad's get out of Father's Day:

1. Baby, I'm all gift wrapped... wanna open your present?